Book Review : Jane Eyre ( Me gusta!)

10:32 PM

    Even that I have read this book several times, I have never grow tire of this Jane Eyre book. Its love story is always dazzling, yet trace a deep impression in my heart. I also fetch good examples and perspectives from the protagonists, and taste some life lessons from the life of Jane Eyre. I always love this kind of classical book, a story where I can learn something, where it contains high moral value, something that is slowly degrading in this modern day world.  
The story mainly tells about the heroine, Jane Eyre, who was a daughter of a clergyman. She was a plain girl, love to read book, smart, impassioned, and in my opinion she was tough. Real tough. Her parents both died when she was really young. She then lived with her aunt, Mrs. Reed, who hated her so much. She felt torture, and injustice while she lived in her aunt`s house. She then sent to Lowood, a half charity school. Here, again she felt solitude and poverty. There were scenes that caught my attention when she lived there. Especially about her dearest friend in Lowood, Helen Burns. She soon died of a typhus, but when she lived, her life taught me about Christian perpectives. Below, I quote some of Helen`s thought, I might not write my thoughts too much, for I keep them myself, but I believe that if you think these quotes through, you will get some enlightments like I do.
“ It is not violence that best overcome hate- nor vengeance that most certainly heals injury. Read the New Testament, and observe what Christ says, and how he acts- make his word your rule, and his conduct your example” (pg 61)
“ He says love your enemies; bless them that curse you; do good to them that hate you and despitefully use you” (pg 61)
“Would you not be happier if you tried to forget her severity, together with the passionate emotions it excited? Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs. We are and must be, one and all, burdened with faults in this world; but the time will soon come when , I trust, we shall put them off in putting off our corruptible bodies, when debasement and sin will fall from us with this cumbrour frame of flesh, and only spark of the spirit will remain, the impalpable principle of life and thought, pure as when it left Creator to inspire the creature; whence it came it will return – perhaps again to be communicated to some being higher than man – perhaps to pass through gradations of glory, from the pale human soul to brighten to the seraph! Surely it will never, on the contrary, be suffered to degenerate man to fiend? No; I can not believe that. I hold another creedm which no one ever taught me, and which I seldom mention, but in which I delight, and to which I cling; for it extends hope to all. It makes eternity a rest, a mightu home, not a terror and an abyss. Besides, with this creed I can so clearly distinguish between the criminal and his crime; I can so sincerely forgive the first while I abohor the last; with this creed revenge never worries my heart, degradation never too deeply digust me, injustice never crushes me too low. I live in calm, looking to the end” (pg 62)
And these ones below talking about endurance, when Helen tasted the bitterness of life, injustice and obstacles, these were what she said:
It is far better to endure patiently than to commit hasty action whose evil consequences will extend to all connected with you- and besides, the Bible bids us return good for evil (pg 59)
“Yet it would be your duty to bear it, if you could not avoid it. It is weak and silly to say you cannot bear what it is your fate required to bear “( pg 59)

After eight years in Lowood, Jane Eyre advertised and got a job as a governess in Thornfield Hall. She met Mr. Rochester, her employer, which was dark, impassioned, and a little ugly. Against all odds, she fell in love with him, without knowing that Mr. Rochester had already a wife, mad and lunatic, hidden under the third story of the Thornfield Hall. Mr. Rochester himself fell in love with Jane too, his trick to got Jane under his arms were quite funny, fresh, and unexpectable. Tricky just like those Korean movies that we love to watch these days J. Anyway, they were about to get married. In the altar, the wedding canceled and secret about lunatic Mrs.Rochester revealed. It hurted Jane so much, despite of her deep love and fondness towards Mr. Rochester, her principle said she won’t marry a married man and be a mistress. So, she ran away from Thornfield Hall, left everything behind and brought only 20 shillings.
She was very poor. She lived just like a beggar, immaculated, and had nowhere to go. Fortunately, The Rivers helped her. She became a teacher in a charity school. Later in the story, she found out that she had an uncle, rich in Madeira. The uncle passed away and she got 20000 pounds legacy. She also found out that the Rivers were her cousins. She kindly divided her legacy to four part and gave it to her cousins. Do you see here, pals? She wasn’t greedy, she valued kinship far more than money, which teach me another good value of life.
Jane never forgets about Mr. Rochester.So did Mr Rochester. They both lived in vain and tears everyday. In the end, she found out that Mr Rochester`s lunatic wife put Thornfield Hall in the fire. She then jumped from her third story apartment. Died with her brain scattered. Everything was ruined, and Mr Rochester had become a complete handicapped. Blind and crippled. Jane came back to see Mr. Rochester. Despite of his unfortunate condition, Jane approved him, loved him dearly, even agreed to marry him. She was his vision, his right hand. She never grew tired taking care of her dear husband.
                Isnt it hard to live a love like this? A love where you accept your dearest one even in the worst condition. Distance and obstacles ever tear them apart, but pure love is not degradable. Jane`s heart stays to be Mr Rochester`s, vice versa. There are so many more values, warm love story, and knowledge that I attained from this book which I do not write here today. Too many. This is a very nice book. A book that worth every penny and time J.
Rating : 6 out of 5
Must Read J



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images